A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE CITY OF FERRIS
Welcome to Ferris
Welcome to Ferris, Texas. This historic 4.6 square mile community is just 20 miles south of downtown Dallas. Settlement of the area began in the early 1870s. On September 28, 1874, a local family deeded approximately 100 acres (0.40 km2) of land to four trustees for the establishment of a town and railway station. Judge Justus Wesley Ferris of Waxahachie handled the transaction, and the community was named for him. Within ten years, Ferris had a population of 300 with a post office, gristmills, cotton gins, four churches, and a school.
On September 18, 1882, an election was held to incorporate the community. A total of 47 votes were cast – 34 (72%) in favor of incorporation and 13 (28%) against. The results were verified by the Ellis County Judge on September 30, and Ferris officially became a town.
Ferris thrived during the early post-war years. Four brick plants operated during the 1950s, and the community was known locally as the “Brick Capital of the Nation”. Ferris also has a second nickname – “The City that Bricked the World” – which is still commonly used to date. The Ferris Annual Brick Festival is held every year at the end of April.
The expansion of the Dallas–Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and the construction of Interstate 45 aided the growth of Ferris in the latter half of the twentieth century.
Today, with a current population of approximately 2,822, Ferris is experiencing growth like never before, all while maintaining its historic charm and small-town feel. Curious about what our town has to offer? We invite you to come take a look for yourself!